If you want to do everything possible to prevent (or heal yourself from) breast cancer you may want to consider avoiding mammograms!
Yes, you read that right.
Radiation, in the form of mammograms, is used as the primary method in conventional medicine to detect (and monitor) the progress of breast cancer . However, this practice continues in spite of the fact that it has been conclusively proven that radiation causes cancer, and in spite of the fact that safe and more accurate methods exist for detection and screening.
But let’s begin at looking at some of the facts about mammograms as shared by numerous doctors and studies conducted on the subject (excerpts taken from ‘Cancer is not a Disease’ by Andreas Moritz)
- Dr Charles Simone, a former clinical associate in immunology and pharmacology at the National Cancer Institute said, “Mammograms increase the risk for developing breast cancer and raise the risk of spreading or metastasizing an existing growth”
2. Each x-ray you are exposed to increases your risk of abnormal cell growth. One standard mammography test results in approx 1 rad (radiation absorbed dose) exposure, which is about 1000 times greater than that from a chest x-ray
3. The National Cancer Institute (NCI) reports that among women under 35, mammography could cause 75 cases of breast cancer for every 15 it identifies
4. Dr Samuel Epstein of the Cancer Prevention Coalition claims, “Screening mammography poses significant and cumulative risks of breast cancer for pre- menopausal women”
5. A Canadian study found a 52% increase in breast cancer mortality in young women who received annual mammograms.
6. Since mammogram screening was introduced, the incidence of the form of breast cancer called ‘ductal carcinoma in situ’ (DCIS) has increased 328%
7. Each year, thousands of women unnecessarily undergo mastectomies, chemotherapy and radiation after receiving false positives on a mammogram
8. Research has identified a gene, called the oncogene AC which is extremely sensitive to even small doses of radiation. A significant percentage of women in the US (and elsewhere) have this gene. An estimated 10,000 AC carriers in the US will die of breast cancer each year due to receiving mammograms
9. In July 1995, ‘The Lancet’ wrote about mammograms, saying “The benefit is marginal, the harm caused is substantial and the costs incurred are enormous……”
While the conducting of mammograms has been hailed as a crucial screening program for the early detection of breast cancer by various cancer establishments, and the trusting public have come to accept this almost unquestioningly; the truth is somewhat different. Mammography is NOT a technique for early diagnosis of breast cancer. In fact cancer in the breast usually has to be present for 8 years before a mammogram can detect it! Cancer is a 12 year disease with tumors forming in year 8.
Added to this, there is substantial room for error in the interpretation of mammograms leading to frequent incorrect results:
Fast negative results: It is common for cancers to be missed in pre-menopausal women due to the dense and highly glandular nature of the breasts at this stage of life. It is also easily missed in post-menopausal women on estrogen replacement therapy because of the breast densities that can develop making radiological interpretation difficult.
False positives: It is also common in both pre-menopausal and post-menopausal women on estrogen replacement therapy to receive a falsely positive result of breast cancer leading to these women having to experience unnecessary anxiety, biopsies and more mammograms.
Over-diagnosis: in addition to falsely positive results, over-diagnosis and over-treatment is a major hazard of mammography. As a direct result of mammogram screening there has been a significant increase in the diagnosis of DCIS (see the figures noted above). However DCIS is a pre-invasive form of breast cancer and 80% of these cases never go on to form the invasive form of cancer even if left untreated! In addition to this, the mortality rate from DCIS is 1% regardless of whether these women are diagnosed and treated early or are only diagnosed later following the development of the invasive form!
Since the treatment for DCIS generally involves lumpectomy and radiation or even mastectomy and chemotherapy with the dire side-effects that go with them, this over-diagnosis and resultant over-treatment that results from mammography is a monumental disservice to women!
So the question then is why, in view of the above facts, does the practice of regular use of mammograms persist? In short; mammography is big business and the industries that promote it will do anything to keep the mammogram ‘bandwagon’ going!
So if having regular mammograms is filled with increasing our risks of breast cancer, is there a viable alternative?
Absolutely! In fact the existence of a side-effect free, relatively inexpensive alternative that is far more accurate than mammography makes the persistent use of mammograms all the more inconceivable. The safer alternative is called Digital Infrared Thermal Imaging (DITI). It works by measuring the infrared heat radiating from your body and translates this into anatomical images. The breasts (and the entire body) can be scanned using this method, and abnormal growths will stand out clearly as a ‘hot spot’.
While the industries who have much to gain from the gigantic profits generated by mammography are quick to deny the above facts, the individual who chooses to inform them self of the safer alternatives available can exercise their right in making their own safer choices!
In summary therefore, the screening for breast cancer using mammograms is a profit-driven technology that offers poor reliability of results while posing considerable risks to the women who have them, while safe and viable alternatives exist!
Remember #HealthIsAChoice. We are here to help. YOUR health is OUR priority!
Now I’d like to hear from you…
Please leave your thoughts by adding a comment below.
To Your Good Health,
Dr Elena M Morreale
For More Information: Call Dr Elena Morreale (Alternative Cancer and Health Therapies, Tampa, FL) 813-968-5404 .
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent disease.